Saturday, March 17, 2012

Letter About the Akita Dogs on Beechtree

My goal for writing this letter is  to get the neighbors feeling comfortable about the reason why they like living here.   We like the space, the view, and we love our pets.   Many of the walkers and pet owners have come forward with concerns about the Akita dogs attacking family pets.  I want  families to lodge a complaint with the Springfield Township Police against the Akita dogs that have been responsible for mauling at least 4 family pet animals.

For the record, there are three Akita dogs at the end of Beechtree  that have been responsible for attacking at least four family pets in the neighborhood in the past few years -- two  dogs  for which the owner of the Akitas assumed responsibility to pay for vet bills but did not report to the police. But there is a record and  identification of the dog who did the mauling of all four.

Very recently, a very good family friend in the View Place neighborhood informed me that her family pet dog was mauled by an Akita.  They showed me the picture and I recognized it as one of dogs residing at the end of Beechtree in the cul de sac.   So why haven't the police done anything based on my identification?

Unfortunately, the family pet dog died from the injuries. The police were called but there was confusion naturally that night because of the was trauma to everyone witnessing the attack. The parents are not feeling safe about letting  their children out to play like they have done in the past.   I am afraid of losing great neighbors like this family. Our children go to school together.   At least one other neighbor claims a man approached her a few weeks ago about  about his Akita dogs  being loose while she was taking her dogs for walk so the Akita owners are aware that the dogs are not staying on the property.  The  car and the Akita owner reside at the house at the end of  Beechtree.

 Akitas define their territory by their "kill sights"and not by their owner's property lines or invisible fence.  Every mauling that occurs expands the "territory."    I also read that Akitas are known to intimidate and attack small children. There is a previous Akita owner in the neighborhood who informed me recently why they had to get  rid of their dog after it jumped up on the kitchen table and grabbed food from the children after spending thousands of  dollars on reputable training and obedience school.  This was after being assured by other Akita owners that the dogs can be trained to be around children.   

The concern for the police  in the neighborhood should be this -- what if  one of the Akita dogs wander into an area AGAIN where small children are playing or walking their pet?  What if a small child is injured?  

There are several families on Commonwealth aand  Beechtree who  observed the Akitas away from their property. I have observed at least one or two of the three dogs on the property Beechtree getting out from the invisible fence crossing into the neighbors yard. I called the police.

I've tried to stop to let the owner know because I know they would be concerned.  But I am afraid to get out of my car and walk to ther door because the dogs charged at me when I pulled into the driveway.    How can I  be assured that something has been done to keep the dogs on their property and from getting out and wandering into children play areas or where neighbors walk their pets?

Please ask this question to the police. Ask them why after a dog is identified after mauling a family pet why neighbors are not notified of a potential danger? Are they waiting for a young child to get to hurt before they can respond?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please continue in your efforts. I work for animal services and can tell you right now that there are lazy law enforcement people that simply do not want to bother with investigating and enforcing the laws. Where I work, I am the only one who bothers to cite on these animal on animal attacks and go through the effort to seize the dogs and file charges to have them either restricted or put to sleep. It is a lot of paperwork and investigation and going to court - many simply are lazy. I hate to believe it but it's the truth. So keep up the fight. Involve the media if need be to force them to do their jobs.

VPCA Grapevine Online said...

I don't think we want to involve the media. This a great neighborhood and we don't want to get a bad reputation because one irresponsible pet owner thinks it's okay keep dogs that viciously attack family pets that might wander onto their property. That's crazy that no one called the police. The last mauling occured on someone else's property. That should be a huge safety red flag in a neighborhood where there are no sidewalks and kids have always cut through neighbor yards and the woods to visit their friends on the other streets. When we have sleepovers, we like to take flashlight walks at night walking the dog to look at the stars. How can I be assured that the Akita won't get out on one such night? I don't want to go through what that poor family went through last Saturday. They have the sweetest 4 year old who was just traumitized over this. That's not right.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about this incident. Because I don't live near the area mentioned I have not seen these animals. We have to do as much as we can to keep our community safe and friendly.

Anonymous said...

I have been living in View place for 10 yrs now and LOVE the area. I thought about calling the media immediately when my puppy was attack but I agree I don't want any negative associate with our neighborhood. I have reached out to the police, you and the owners. Any direction on how to keep our community safe is appeciated by us all.

Anonymous said...

That is why I carry a gun when I walk my dogs. If they come my way we won't have to worry about them anymore!

Yes, I did call Springfield Twnsp police and they said I do have every right to protect myself since I have a CCL.

Anonymous said...

You people have been exposed to dogs that are non representative of the breed. To all concerned,Akitas, like any dog should never be allowed off leash. I am now on my third generation of Akita, never have I witmesssed the nonsense you have seen. No bad dogs, bad owners.